Thoughts while Traveling

4.30.2004

LITERACY OR LACK THEREOF

So I have told some souls very close to me that this past year has been very humbling. And it's a good thing, for God has brought me down (gracefully and mercifully) to where I need to be. or at least closer. Serving tables teaches one a lot about oneself, humanity...well, about SERVING. Relying on your own performance (for lack of a better word) and customer service skills to pay your bills is a tough place. And let's face it, when you are hoping for your customers to come through on a particular day to pay your Duke Power bill, it's not the most content of days. However, saying that, I learned in the process to rely on God in a new capacity and setting. I haven't yet been late on a Duke Power bill. He has been faithful and has provided Justin and I precisely the money that we have needed. But the lessons I have learned about "feet washing" are far more valuable.

My "other" job. Another daily "humble-pill." I answer phones and perform various other mind-numbing tasks as assigned. I am just that. The nature of my job is mindless but at times can be helpful. Somebody has to do it. It is important, but it's hard for someone like me. I like to be thinking and problem -solving, constantly in motion. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for this job and it has served a purpose in my life, but sometimes I feel as though I am losing my zeal and passion for life in the day to day grind.

My dad (the earlier blogged about wise- man)told me a few months ago after an incident at work that you really know who a person is and what they are about when you see how they treat someone they have no use for. I happened to be the "useless" person at the time, and it felt like crap.

And the other day I had an interesting confrontation with an older woman who works in the office. She asked me to send a broadcast fax, which I have never done before, and I told her I wasn't sure how to do that, but I would try. She then got a bit exasperated with me and told me she would walk back to her office and get her glasses so she could read the directions and do it herself. I then said, "If there are directions, I am sure I could figure it out, where are they?" And she showed me where and then replied,

"I wasn't sure if you could read."

Goes to show how far a college degree can get ya.

Wow. I don't know to this day if she was trying to be funny, but I felt like such a bottom dweller at that point.
I could ramble on about this...but I don't need to. I'm just learning more about life each day and it sure gets harder as the years go by.

anyways...

Got a call from a woman at Regent yesterday with good news considering my applicaiton and GRE test questions.

She said I have a chance. A good one. Grad school is possibly on the horizon and I can't wait to begin a new leg of my journey.

Maybe they will teach me how to read!
posted by A. St. at 9:04 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home