Thoughts while Traveling

12.09.2005

divine intervention - just what I needed today

Directionally-challenged may be an understatement to describe my condition. Perhaps compass-impaired or spatially-disoriented would be more accurate.

As a child, my sense of direction was so predictably wrong that when we were lost on a road trip, my mother would ask what direction I felt was right and take that as a cue to go the opposite way. As a college student I lost my car at a mall. After hours of searching I frantically called my parents who calmly instructed me to rent a taxi…and drive row by row until the wayward vehicle was found. As an adult, I missed the turn going to my house and did not start wondering why the 20 minute drive was taking 90 minutes until I saw a sign which read, “Entering Mark Twain National Forest.”

Given my history you can imagine that walking in the woods for me takes the courage of Indiana Jones. This is a serious endeavor which requires intense concentration. Where other friends gifted with interior homing beacons stride out in confidence, I carefully examine my surroundings, attempt to find points of references, and then make every effort to stay on the path.

Which brings me to a simple but very personal assortment of thoughts about physical (and spiritual) paths:

~Many see the path, fewer take the path.
~Once selected, paths do not keep you, you keep to them.
~Paths are easier to identify when you STAY on them.
~Though a path seems clear when you are on it, each step taken away from it exponentially increases its obscurity.
~If you lose your way, don’t sit there like an embarrassed tree stump, start screaming at the top of your lungs for help.
~Always remember, being lost is serious stuff.


Though spatial-disorientation doomed my fleeting childhood ambitions of becoming a forest ranger, it has served to emphasize the importance of finding, enjoying, and not straying from God’s good path. His path—and only His path—leads to Eternal Life.
guidance for reflective journaling


One ~ For every soul there is a path called obedience which leads all closer to the heart of God. Spend a few moments describing the path that God has set before you. Does it seem poorly lit or clear? Uneven or level? Spacious or narrow? Lonely or comforting?

Two ~ Disappointment, pain, greed, loss, cravings…many voices invite us to stray from God’s path. But no matter how difficult our path may be, God’s path is always the safest place for His children. Each step away from obedience obscures our vision and makes finding our way back home more difficult. In prayer, talk honestly with Father God about any voices you are tempted to listen to that would cause you to entertain departing from the path of obedience.

Three ~ Recommit your entire self to pursuing God’s path of obedience. Consider Psalm 25.4-5


"Show me Your ways, O LORD;Teach me Your paths.Lead me in Your truth and teach me,For You are the God of my salvation;On You I wait all the day."Psalm 25:4–5

~alicia britt-cole

posted by A. St. at 12:27 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home