Thoughts while Traveling

9.20.2005

Lily pads

The act of moving a household forces one to sift through a plethora of items. Some have been totally forgotten , a few deliberately discarded, and if we are lucky, a gem emerges and we find ourselves ecstatic and overjoyed to have found it. Regardless if we find this a treacherous process or an exciting adventure, we are inevitably faced with the years gone by. Memories and milestones play before us like a slideshow, and yet it is better than a slideshow because we hold the thing in our hands and are taken back to another time for a fleeting moment.

We are able to see the lily pads.

Like standing on a river bank and looking back across the rippling water only to see the lily pads of growth. In all their glory, the floating trophies that are evidence of the journey. Reminders of the moments that have come to define us and shape the road ahead.

I love photos. Always have. They speak to me like nothing else does. This past week I have been sifting through endless photos of my journey, and I have come across several lily pads that jumped out and grabbed me, reminding me of lessons learned and thresholds crossed.

I need to look back a little more. Otherwise I fear I may forget, and dreadfully come to the place where I found myself a week ago. Bewildered as to how I got to here and now.

I need to locate and acknowledge these lily pads, thus noting their existence. Then I must turn back around and look ahead, allowing the lily pads to fuel my journey toward my destination.

Like the churning under the sea that creates a magnificent tsunami, our "lily pads" are what churn and stir us up under the surface, always driving us with intent closer to the shore. And when God releases His power in our lives, the wave is far-reaching.

I suppose wisdom and discernment keep us from being destructive like the tsunami ---and yet just as constructively powerful in the kingdom of God.

The cool thing to me in this ever-so-strange picture that has formed in my mind is that the lily pads continue to float on top not being harmed, connecting the dots back to the source.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
posted by A. St. at 11:56 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home