Thoughts while Traveling

12.14.2006

be sure to pack light

I work at a newspaper. Every December the newsroom has a massive book sale that makes me happy. They purge and those of us that dare, indulge. Today was the day. I walked down the hall with nostalgic thoughts of one my favorite days in elementary school known as the book fairs. These mentioned book fairs could have very well been the start to my shopping addiction, now that I think about it. Anyway, my purchases include a total of 4 hardback novels that sparked my interest, as well as 3 CD's that looked promising, a tiny Christmas book for a special kid in my life, and last but not least another cool and obscure book that is destined for a specific individual who will remain nameless due to the surprise element of the Christmas season. Justin has rubbed off on me, I suppose. Surprises aren't totally bad.

The grand total for all my treasures? A whopping $11. Love that. Sarah would be so proud.

I have been sitting here reading one of these books and had to stop. I have been struck and wanted to write it down so I don't forget. Written by Catherine Ryan Hyde, the novel is called Love in the Present Tense. It has a picture of a kid jumping off a cliff after some birds. It's a beautiful picture, and that is probably the reason it appealed to me in the first place. The visual learner in me can't be pursuaded to change. Good thing the writing is agreeable. I am engrossed already in the story and more, these characters that have stolen my heart. This story would make a great play or screenplay.

Anyhow, my stopping place that nudged me here was a description of Leonard, a motherless, fatherless kid who is so different he makes everyone around him ponder his existence.

"He just has this thing about transcendence. Doesn't want too many earthbound connections... That's Leonard's approach to life itself. He refuses to unpack."

Man, if that little piece of fiction doesn't make me stop and ponder not only Leonard's existence, but my own...

Please excuse me, I think I have a bit of packing to do.
posted by A. St. at 1:18 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home