Thoughts while Traveling

11.05.2004

Donkeys and elephants, living together...

I don't really wish to beat a dead horse - but while my wife and sister-in-law have said their peace, I would like to comment on the blog before last and the comments that followed. Why? Because that's what blogs are for! hehe

Let me start with something from the comment: "... one issue that rises above all else- abortion."

Is that the one issue and does it indeed rise above all else? That certainly is an interesting point of view, and not really a very surprising one in our polarized society bent towards extremes. I (surprise surprise) disagree. If abortion were an isolated issue that was affected by nothing else, then I might agree- but it's not. A woman's decision to terminate or not has a lot to do with outside factors- healthcare, the cost of, the economy, social standing, cultural factors... and others. Consider this: the decision to abort, at one time, may have widely been because of a social fear. A fear of whom? Christians. Unwed single mothers were looked down upon and shunned/shamed to a frightening degree. Rather than raise a child under strain of scorn, "sweeping the problem under the carpet" became the solution. No one would have been the wiser except that many women died from a procedure that was largely underdeveloped.
THIS IS NOT A CASE FOR ABORTION!!! This IS an opening of the curtains to those who would limit themselves to a sliver through the window of a world view and the social responsibilties of the church. If the church's initial response had been to embrace single mothers then imagine the generations that wouldn't have had to die.
You'd be surprised (or hopefully you wouldn't) at the number of taboo and depraved actions in our secular cultures that can be traced back to time where christians failed to even attempt to emulate Christ.

So no, this isn't, and shouldn't be the only issue.
Before I start on this other issue, let me say that I am not against voting or participating in the American system. But...

What is our role? Really? What is our purpose, our goal, our raison d'etre? I hope that we are followers of Christ first and Americans second (or lower). I feel that the issue that rises above all else would be- will I be able to live out my faith and reach people effectively? That's the issue, which is connected to a lot of other issues. If we are to reach the nations- the foreign policy is important- others in the world do not want to follow an american Jesus, neither do I. If we are to reach the poor- then the economy is important- many do not want to follow a white middle-to-upper-class Jesus, neither do I.
So, as Christians, I would encourage you to choose the candidate that you feel will allow you to continue to reach those without hope. And accept that this will not lead everyone to the same candidate- and that's perfectly fine.

I would warn Christians about the dangers of mandating morality. First, look at the history of any European nation and ask them how they feel about the partnership of church and state. And please do not kid yourself by saying "Well, that's Catholicism." Three factors are prevalent: Mankind, religion, and power. Then note the rampant secularism of that region. There are things people respond to and things they react to.
Let me tell you a story. A friend that I hold in high regard and I had an argument. During the course of our argument, an account came up of a time where I confronted him about an action that I didn't agree with. I thought I handled the situation well, but I then learned that I had not. His statement was that I "sounded like his father." - a statement that, at first, I thought wasn't to bad because I know his father to be a wise man- but, alas, that was not his point. He didn't say I was wrong, he didn't say I shouldn't have been the one, or that it wasn't the right time, or that my face was distorted in a menacing way- he simply said that I sounded like his father. Fact: I am not his father. I presented him with a situation in which most if not all people react, as opposed to responding- and his reaction was to shut down and not accept what I was trying to convey, simply because... I told him what to do.
As Christians, life is what we are reacting to- and Christ gave us something to respond to. I hope that we are giving our world something to repond to.
posted by A. St. at 4:01 PM

1 Comments:

While I understand that the Church has its blemishes (and outright moral failures) both today and in our 2,000 year history, it's dangerous, my respeted friend, to be the one who blames the Church first. If there is something wrong, it must be the Church's fault. If we'd done this, or hadn't done that.

Listen, the world if full of sin. We're supposed to be like Jesus and not "quench the smoking flax", not trample on those who are already beaten down. We're supposed to walk with grace and let our speech be seasoned with salt, especially towards those "on the outside" (Paul's words, not mine).

At the same time, we're supposed to fight the institutionalization of sinful practices such as abortion and same-sex marriage. If we can vote for someone who promises to protect the oppressed (ALL of the oppressed and not just the unborn) - then we should. But which is worse, to neglect those who have SOME chance or to neglect those who have NO chance? I propose that it is far worse to go on about our business, not giving a voice to those who have none.

Jesus' bias has always been towards the far end of the spectrum, those who are absolutely helpless. David says in the Psalms over and over how the Lord is near to those who are cast down, that He rescues those who are oppressed.

"A women's decision to terminate" - that makes me sick to my stomach and angry to the top of my head. Decision to terminate. Wow. Babies crunching inside their mother's cervix just like that. And no one cares.

Mandating morality? Maybe so. But someone has to be moral. The degradation of every major civilization since Rome has been because of corruption on the inside. Not only that, if we're supposed to be salt and light, doesn't that mean working towards reform that are for the good of all? Freedom is only freedom is if perpetuates itself and works for the good of the whole world.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home